Background

9.18.2012

Summer Rewind - Intern Training

Originally written June 9, 2012

Hello All!

I am at the end of my pre-summer week. It has been absolutely flying by. Interns arrived on Friday afternoon and we all got to hang out and get to begin building relationships at a barbecue held at Doug Franklin (LeaderTreks Founder & President)'s house. Saturday thru Tuesday the Interns were up at a camp in WI getting oriented to LeaderTreks... or as we affectionately called it, the fire hose of information. This gave me some time to get a little more prepared to leave the Chicago area for 10 weeks, finish my site specific intern training plan and finalize some logistical information for our arrival in Dayton.

Thursday morning rolled around way too quickly and before I knew it, we (Adam, Alissa & I) were packed in the van and headed to Dayton, OH. God blessed us with some caravan buddies. The team headed to Kentucky were traveling the same roads until Indianapolis. We took a slight detour off the highway to a random dairy farm in Indiana, and shuffled cars a little bit so that all four interns could ride together and Shane (the LT staff running the Kentucky site) and myself could get some last minute encouragement and prayer for each other. (We'll see this team again in the middle of July while the Dayton site has a hiatus). 

Since our arrival in Dayton, nothing has gone according to my plans.. ha ha - but I am living in continual trust in God that he is directing my steps. Today was quite the adventure with our first grocery shopping trip where we bought 75% of the needed groceries for the week, and scoped out our work site options and got introduced around the whole neighborhood where we will be working this summer. Tomorrow still holds a full day with work site supply shopping, one-on-ones with interns, an encouraging visit from John (the LT executive director), and rearranging church rooms to prepare for the team's arrival. This time tomorrow night hopefully we will be finishing our first team time with 30 amazing 8th graders and slipping off into peaceful slumber. 

The emotion "overwhelmed" would be an understatement. However, I came to the realization yesterday and today that I'm here to help students and interns grow this summer, but I believe that I'll be the one growing the most. There will be a lot of risk taking for me this summer and I'm praying that I continue to live rooted in my trust in God that he will work out all of my words, actions, and decisions for his glory and that I might see him work more clearly than I ever have before.

No comments:

Post a Comment